Ask a question about 'John Griffith Bowen'
Start a new discussion about 'John Griffith Bowen'
Answer questions from other users
John Griffith Bowen
is a British playwright and novelist. He was born in Calcutta, India, studied at the University of Oxford
The University of Oxford is a university located in Oxford, United Kingdom. It is the second-oldest surviving university in the world and the oldest in the English-speaking world. Although its exact date of foundation is unclear, there is evidence of teaching as far back as 1096...
(at Pembroke College
Pembroke College is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England, located in Pembroke Square. As of 2009, Pembroke had an estimated financial endowment of £44.9 million.-History:...
and St Antony's College
St Antony's College is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England.St Antony's is the most international of the seven all-graduate colleges of the University of Oxford, specialising in international relations, economics, politics, and history of particular parts of the...
) and worked in publishing, drama and television.
Bowen started writing books in the mid-1950s.
- The Truth Will Not Help Us: Embroidery on an Historical Theme. London, Chatto and Windus, 1956.
- After the Rain. London, Faber, 1958; New York, Ballantine, 1959.
- The Centre of the Green. London, Faber, 1959; New York, McDowellObolensky, 1960.
- Storyboard. London, Faber, 1960.
- The Birdcage. London, Faber, and New York, Harper, 1962.
- A World Elsewhere. London, Faber, 1965; New York, CowardMcCann, 1967.
- Squeak (1983)
- The McGuffin (1984)
- The Girls: A Story of Village Life. London, Hamish Hamilton, 1986;New York, Atlantic Monthly Press, 1987.
- Fighting Back. London, Hamish Hamilton, 1989.
- The Precious Gift. London, Sinclair Stevenson, 1992.
- No Retreat. London, Sinclair Stevenson, 1994.
In the mid-1960s Bowen switched to writing plays for theatre and television.
- Hetty Wainthrop Investigates (1995)
- Hetty Wainthrop: Woman of the Year (1996)