Ask a question about 'Jeep Hurricane'
Start a new discussion about 'Jeep Hurricane'
Answer questions from other users
The Jeep Hurricane
is a concept vehicle that was unveiled at the 2005 North American International Auto Show
The North American International Auto Show is an annual auto show held in Detroit, Michigan at Cobo Center, usually in January. It is among the largest auto shows in North America.-History:...
in Detroit by Jeep
Jeep is an automobile marque of Chrysler . The first Willys Jeeps were produced in 1941 with the first civilian models in 1945, making it the oldest off-road vehicle and sport utility vehicle brand. It inspired a number of other light utility vehicles, such as the Land Rover which is the second...
, a subsidiary of Daimler-Chrysler. The Hurricane's one-piece body is composed largely of light-weight structural carbon fiber
Carbon fiber, alternatively graphite fiber, carbon graphite or CF, is a material consisting of fibers about 5–10 μm in diameter and composed mostly of carbon atoms. The carbon atoms are bonded together in crystals that are more or less aligned parallel to the long axis of the fiber...
. Its skid plate
A skid plate is a steel plate affixed to the underside of a vehicle to prevent damage to key components in the undercarriage. Skid plates are most frequently found on four-wheel drive vehicles designed for off-road use...
is an aluminum spine that connects the chassis to the underside of the vehicle. The Hurricane doesn’t have side doors or a roof, and there is only seating for two people. The driver and passenger enter the vehicle over bulkheads on each side. The Hurricane features a MillenWorks
MillenWorks, known as Rod Millen Motorsports until 2005, is an automotive technology company started by Rod Millen in 1980. The company began by preparing Millen's rally cars, and evolved into designing and building them...
designed four-wheel steering system that allows the Hurricane to move sideways. Its principal exterior designer was Aaron Pizzuti. The concept went on to win IDEA Silver Award, a Popular Science "Best of what's new" award,and an AutoWeek Editor's Choice award in the "Most Fun" category.
It is not expected to be a production vehicle. However, many patents were secured in the Hurricane’s development.
- Curb Weight (estimated): 3,850 lb (1,746 kg)
- Length: 151.8 inches (3,856 mm)
- Wheelbase: 108.1 inches (2,746 mm)
- Front Overhang: 25.0 inches (635 mm)
- Rear Overhang: 18.7 inches (475 mm)
- Width: 80.0 inches (2,033 mm)
- Height: 68.2 inches (1,732 mm)
- Track, Frt/Rr: 67.5/67.5 inches (1,715/1,715 mm)
- Engine: Two 5.7-liter, 8-cylinder HEMI engines
- Power: 670 hp (500 kW)
- Torque: 740 lbf·ft (1000 N·m)
- Transfer Case: Custom multi-mode with 1:1, 2:1 and 4:1 ratios
- Transmission: 5-speed automatic
- Front and Rear Suspension: Long-travel, short/long arm independent
- Ground Clearance: 14.3 inches (363 mm)
- Break-Over Angle: 31.5 degrees
- Approach/Depart Angle: 64.0/86.7 degrees
- Tire Size: 305/70R20 (all four)
- Wheel Size: 20x10 inches (51x25 cm)
- 0-60 mph (97 km/h): 4.9 seconds