Izmir is a large metropolis in the western extremity of Anatolia. The metropolitan area in the entire Izmir Province had a population of 3.35 million as of 2010, making the city third most populous in Turkey...
University of Economics is a higher education institution that aims to nurture individuals who are creative, dedicated and wholly committed to Atatürk’s principles and reforms. It is established by “İzmir Chamber of Commerce Education and Health Foundation” in accordance with the principles of Turkish Republic Constitution, Higher Education Law and Regulations about Foundation Higher Education Institutions numbered 2547.
The Izmir University of Economics is the first foundation university in Izmir and the Aegean region
Aegean Region , is one of the 7 census-defined regions of Turkey, and in Western Asia.It is located in the west part of the country: bounded by Aegean Sea on the west; Marmara Region on the north;...
and began to accept undergraduate students in 2001.
There are five faculties, two schools, two graduate schools, and seven Application and Research Centers at the university.
Seventeen different undergraduate educations, eleven different master's education and three different doctoral educations are being executed in these academic units.
Five of the undergraduate educations are double diploma programs executed jointly with the USA-(SUNY) New York State University.
İzmir University of Economics has ERASMUS program agreement with 40 universities abroad and it has academic cooperation protocol with 23 universities.
Mission, vision and basic values
The mission of İzmir University of Economics is to educate and equip qualified students with leadership attributes, entrepreneurial capabilities, critical thinking skills and the ability to contribute valuable research in a variety of sciences.
The vision of İzmir University of Economics is to become a preeminent institution of higher learning at the forefront of education on a universal level and to pioneer valuable research in a variety of disciplines.
- Participation: the fostering of an academic environment which is universal, flexible, pluralist, transparent and open to collaboration.
- Innovation: to take part in interdisciplinary research and development activities, which are effective, creative and on the leading edge of new discoveries.
- Social responsibility: to be responsible within the community by effectively managing its social resources in the production and dissemination of universal knowledge.
- Perfectionism: to consistently focus on the best possible outcome in every activity.
As the domestic policy of the Ottoman Empire
The Ottoman EmpireIt was usually referred to as the "Ottoman Empire", the "Turkish Empire", the "Ottoman Caliphate" or more commonly "Turkey" by its contemporaries...
, “Chamber of Commerce” was established in 1885 in İzmir, the trade city of the centuries. This establishment was first beneficial for the tradesmen. However, it could not be active in long wars and occupation period. Positive works increased in Republic period. İzmir Chamber of Commerce strengthened its long-standing structure and became the leading non-governmental organization of Turkey. For now, it has 55 thousand active 85 thousand inactive members. İzmir Chamber of Commerce
has always been the symbol of innovations and changes since İzmir Economics Congress in 1923 in which Atatürk was also present. İzmir Chamber of Commerce
which has always increased its incomes for over a century has established “İzmir Chamber of Commerce Foundation for Encouragement of Social Assistance” with the leadership of Ekrem Demirtaş in 1988. Among its aims was “opening private universities in order to educate the young people to serve for the economics of the country.” The basis of this aim was the item in 1923 İzmir Economics Congress which said “Schools for economics education should be established, executed and supported by the chambers of commerce in big cities that are trade centers.”
The Foundation that survives with the support of the benefactors in İzmir has supported many students by opening primary school buildings, İzmir Chamber of Commerce Foundation Industry Vocational High School and vocational courses. The Foundation that also serves in health sector has established İzmir Chamber of Commerce Süleyman Taştekin Eşrefpaşa Clinic. However, the foundation university that İzmir was looking forward could be established in 2001. The support of İzmir Chamber of Commerce and Foundation has the biggest role in the success of İzmir University of Economics from the very first academic year to today.
After the establishment of the first foundation university Bilkent in Ankara in accordance with the 130th item of the Constitution, on February 15, 1990 İzmir Chamber of Commerce Foundation for Encouragement of Social Assistance President Ekrem Demirtaş said “We will establish a university with foreign medium of education.” Because with the amendments in Higher Education Law numbered 2547 the Regulations of Higher Education Institutions that came into effect by being published in the official gazette dated April 10, 1991 and numbered 20841 let establishing a foundation university. Hereupon, Ekrem Demirtaş, the chairman of the board of directors of the foundation that changed its name into İzmir Chamber of Commerce Health and Education Foundation” announced that they would establish an economics university on November 17, 1999.
After that, bureaucratic and legal procedures began. The works became more intensive when İzmir Chamber of Commerce
Board of Directors fully supported the Founder Board of Directors. However, there was a problem, the place to establish the university could not be found. In the meantime, in the meeting of Privatization High Commission dated November 14, 2000 numbered 2000/83it was decided to establish İzmir University of Economics in Sümer Conglomerate area with 160 000 m² in Halkapınar which was losing money. This decision was precluded by the bureaucrats in İzmir, the trade unions, Law on the Protection of Natural Heritage, Chamber of Architects and some political party members. The Nazilli Chintz Factory which was in the same decision was assigned to Adnan Menderes University without problem.
The founders worked day and night, looked for alternative places and the University was established officially with 2 faculties, 5 vocational schools, and 2 institutes with the Law numbered 4633 published in official gazette numbered 24373 dated April 14, 2001. The date that the legislation was enacted is being celebrated as the foundation date of the university. Meanwhile, after some researches with the proposal of Metropolitan Mayor Ahmet Piriştina the university was decided to be established on July 1, 2001 in Grand plaza hotel which was abandoned for nine years. The bureaucratic procedures and hard amendment works against time were completed. There were 288 students in the first year in the conference hall, classes, office rooms, restaurant, cafeterias, student dormitory and main building that was completed in three months. With the beginning of the courses on Monday, October 22, 2001 and the official opening ceremony on Friday, October 26, 2001 9th President of Republic Süleyman Demirel
Sami Süleyman Gündoğdu Demirel, better known as Süleyman Demirel , is a Turkish politician who served as Prime Minister seven times and was the ninth President of Turkey.-Life:Demirel was born in İslamköy, a town in Isparta Province...
gave the first lesson.
The following units were opened in the first academic year and it is developed in time with the new units and departments:
2001 - 2002:
- Faculty of Arts and Sciences; Department of Mathematics.
- Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences; Economics, Business Administration and International Relations and European Union
- School of Fashion and Design
- School of Foreign Languages
2002 - 2003:
- Graduate School of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Communication; Department of Public Relations and Advertising.
- Faculty of Computer Sciences was established on April 7, 2003.
2003–2004:*Department of International Trade and Finance.
- Department of “Logistics Management”.
- The name of the School of Fashion and Design changed into “Faculty of Fine Arts and Design”.
- Department of Media and Communication.
- Department of Industrial Design.
- Department of Interior Architecture and Environmental Design.
- Department of Communication Design.
- Department of Translation and Interpretation (English).
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Architecture.
- ”Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences” was established on July 10, 2006.
- Industrial System Engineering
- School of Applied Management Sciences; Culinary Arts and Management
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Sciences
Department of Computer Engineering
Department of Computer Engineering SUNY Fredonia
Department of Industrial System Engineering
Department of Software Engineering
Department of Software Engineering SUNY Fredonia
Department of Electronics And Telecommunications Engineering
Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences
Department of Business Administration
SUNY-IUE Business Administration Dual Diploma Program
Department of Economics
SUNY-IUE Economics Dual Diploma Program
Department of International Relations and EU
Department of International Trade and Finance
Department of Logistics Management
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Department of Mathematics
Department of Psychology
Department of Translation and Interpretation
Department of Sociology
Department of Psychology SUNY Fredonia
Faculty of Fine Arts and Design
Department of Fashion Design
Department of Visual Communication Design
Department of Industrial Design
Department of Interior Architecture and Environmental Design
Department of Architecture
Faculty of Communication
Department of Public Relations and Advertising
Department of Public Relations and Advertising SUNY
Department of Media and Communication
Graduate School of Social Sciences
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Business Administration Ph.D. Program
Economics Ph.D. Program
Media and Communication Studies
Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences
Applied Mathematics and Statistics Ph.D Program
Management Science and Engineering
Computer Games and Technology
The objective of Continuous Education Center is particularly to organize continuous education programs and social activities in all fields that the university offers education and makes research.
The objective of the center is to initiate and conduct research on economical, political, legal and other fields relating to European Integration and Turkey-EU Relationships and to plan, propose, arrange and/or coordinate educational programs.
The objectives of the center are to conduct research, accumulate data and produce information and share this information in the fields of design knowledge, design theory, history and philosophy of design, education in design and application of design. In this frame, the center:
- conducts research, accumulates data and produces and shares information in design theory, history of design, and education in design;
- creates design projects aiming to resolve certain issues and helps implement them;
- creates, helps implement and supervises design projects to meet demands from various sectors, corporates and individuals ;
- plays a connecting role between education and industry by putting theory into practice;
- supplies consultancy services in design to the sector;
- contributes to the development of design in Turkey by supporting related initiatives such as design councils and design museums;
- conducts academic meetings such as seminars, congresses and conferences; broadcasts radio and TV programs; releases publications; and forms the necessary committees related to aforementioned activities;
- forms the sub-units, work groups and similar organizations and platforms that will work on the aforementioned activities.
- Center for Urban and Regional Development and Environment (URDE)
IEU has several theoretical and applied research centers to conduct various projects and development studies. Of these centers, the URDE - Center for Urban and Regional Development and Environment is officially approved by the Turkish Council of the Higher Education and is a non-profit University Research Institution. The aim of the center is to promote and develop the scientific analysis and the research in the general fields of urban & regional development and the environment, to promote the scientific knowledge and practices in the policy fields of Urban & Regional Development and Environment as well as training and provide consultancy services in policy development, application, monitoring or evaluation of such projects and to investigate locally viable solutions and innovations, and to assist and strengthen the links for sustainable development and networking.
The objectives of the center are to conduct interdisciplinary research in the field of entrepreneurship to form a connection between academic work and practical work, and to support educational programs in the field.
Academic research in parallel to the center's goals; projects created to meet the needs of the business world in general, and small-scale and family businesses in particular; and projects to improve managerial training comprise the fields in which the center functions.
The aim of the Center is to work in the framework of the principles stipulated in the mission and vision of Izmir University of Economics, and to perform original works that highlight strong leadership, accurate decision-making, good governance and ethical values in order to “Raise the leaders that will manage the future” and shape the world of business, economics and politics.
The aim of the Center is to plan and implement particularly research and application projects by means of scientific researches aimed at bilateral and multilateral relations of Turkey with the countries of this continent and the historical, cultural, political, economic, sociological and geopolitical structure of these relations by following the political, economic and cultural developments on the African Continent.
The activities that will be performed by the Center are as follows:
- To develop projects on subjects like regional development, labor market, economic development and poverty that concern Turkey and the African Continent,
- To develop entrepreneurship and cooperation on international level
- To evaluate the trade relation between the countries on the African continent and our country in terms of logistics management and to make researches and amendments about this subject, to look for a solution collectively about logistic infrastructure and logistic system of both Turkey and the African countries by developing joint projects with similar institutes and research centers that operate in African countries
- To follow the political, economic and cultural developments on the African Continent and to make scientific researches, analysis and evaluations about the bilateral and multilateral relations of Turkey with the countries on the continent and the historical, cultural, political and geopolitical structure of these relations,
- To make researches and analysis about developing the trade and capital flows of the African countries by determining how the international capital and trade flow of the underdeveloped and developing countries can be improved in the light of the general principles of economics and law.