Indian Council of Agricultural Research
), New Delhi, India is an autonomous organisation under the Department of Agricultural Research and Education, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India. Formerly known as Imperial Council of Agricultural Research, it was established on 16 July 1929 as a registered society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 in pursuance of the report of the Royal Commission on Agriculture. The ICAR has its headquarters at New Delhi.
The Council is the apex body for coordinating, guiding and managing research and education in agriculture including horticulture, fisheries and animal sciences in the entire country. With over 90 ICAR institutes and 45 agricultural universities spread across the country this is one of the
largest national agricultural systems in the world.
The ICAR has played a pioneering role in ushering Green Revolution and subsequent developments in agriculture in India through its research and technology development that has enabled the country to increase the production of foodgrains by 4 times, horticultural crops by 6 times, fish by 9 times (marine 5 times and inland 17 times), milk 6 times and eggs 27 times since 1950–51, thus making a visible impact on the national food and nutritional security. It has played a major role in promoting excellence in higher education in agriculture. It is engaged in cutting edge areas of science and technology development and its scientists are internationally acknowledged in their fields.
Union Minister of Agriculture, Sharad Pawar
Sharadchandra Govindrao Pawar , popularly known as SAHEB , is the president of the Nationalist Congress Party which he founded in 1999, after separating from the Indian National Congress...
is President and Dr S. Ayyappan is Director General of ICAR at present.
- To plan, undertake, aid, promote and co-ordinate education, research and its application in agriculture, agroforestry, animal husbandry, fisheries, home science and allied sciences.
- To act as clearing house of research and general information relating to agriculture, animal husbandry, home science and fisheries through its publications and information system, and instituting and promoting transfer of technology programmes.
- To provide, undertake and promote consultancy services in the fields of education, research, training and dissemination of information in agriculture, agroforestry, animal husbandry, fisheries, home science and allied sciences.
- To look into problems relating to broader areas of rural development concerning agriculture, including post-harvest technology, by developing co-operative programmes with other organizations such as the Indian Council of Social Sciences Research, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, and universities.
- To do other things considered necessary to attain objectives of the Society.
The 'Committee to Advise on Renovation and Rejuvenation of Higher Education' (Yashpal Committee, 2009)
has recommended setting up of a constitutional body – The National Commission for Higher Education and Research
, which would be a unified supreme body to regulate all branches of higher education including agricultural education. Presently, regulation of agricultural education is the mandate of ICAR, Veterinary Council of India (Veterinary sub-discipline) and Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (Forestry sub-discipline). The UPA government has included Yashpal Committee recommendations in its '100 days agenda'.
ICAR has following organizational structure :
- Union Minister of Agriculture is the ex-officio President of the ICAR Society.
- Secretary, Department of Agricultural Research & Education Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India & Director-General, ICAR – the Principal Executive Officer of the Council.
- Governing Body is the policy-making authority
- Agricultural Scientists' Recruitment Board
- Deputy Directors-General (8)
- Additional Secretary (DARE) and Secretary (ICAR)
- Additional Secretary and Financial Advisor
- 24 Assistant Directors-General
- National Director, National Agricultural Innovation Project
- Directorate of Information and Publications of Agriculture
ICAR has two bodies:
- The General Body, the supreme authority of the ICAR, is headed by the Minister of Agriculture, Government of India
The Government of India, officially known as the Union Government, and also known as the Central Government, was established by the Constitution of India, and is the governing authority of the union of 28 states and seven union territories, collectively called the Republic of India...
- The Governing Body which is the chief executive and decision making authority of the ICAR. It is headed by the Director-General.
- Initiation of the first All-India Co-ordinated Research Project on Maize in 1957
- Status of Deemed University accorded to IARI in 1958
- Establishment of the first State Agricultural University on land grant pattern at Pantnagar
Pantnagar is a town and a University campus in Udham Singh Nagar district, Uttarakhand. Nainital, Rudrapur and Kiccha, Haldwani are the major cities surrounding Pantnagar....
- Placement of different agricultural research institutes under the purview of ICAR in 1966
- Creation of Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE) in the Ministry of Agriculture in 1973
- Opening of first Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) at Puducherry (Pondicherry) in 1974
- Establishment of Agricultural Research Service and Agricultural Scientists' Recruitment Board in 1975
- Launching of Lab-to-Land Programme and the National Agricultural Research Project (NARP) in 1979
- Initiation of Institution-Village Linkage Programme (IVLP) in 1995
- Establishment of National Gene Bank at New Delhi in 1996
- The ICAR was bestowed with the King Baudouin Award in 1989 for its valuable contribution in ushering in the Green Revolution. Again awarded King Baudouin Award in 2004 for research and development efforts made under partnership in Rice Wheat Consortium.
- Launching of National Agricultural Technology Project (NATP) in 1998 and National Agricultural Innovation Project (NAIP) in 2005
- As of July, 2006 it has developed a vaccine
A vaccine is a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease. A vaccine typically contains an agent that resembles a disease-causing microorganism, and is often made from weakened or killed forms of the microbe or its toxins...
against bird flu.The vaccine was developed at the High Security Animal Disease Laboratory, Bhopal, the only facility in the country to conduct tests for the H5N1
Influenza A virus subtype H5N1, also known as "bird flu", A or simply H5N1, is a subtype of the influenza A virus which can cause illness in humans and many other animal species...
variant of bird flu.It was entrusted with the task of developing a vaccine by the ICAR after the Avian Influenza outbreak in February. The ICAR provided Rs. 8 crore for the purpose.
- In December 2009, it announced that it was considering a policy to provide open access to its research.
- ICAR scientists were the first in the world to sequence the pigeon pea genome. it was a purely indigenous effort by 31 scientists led by Nagendra Kumar Singh
Dr Nagendra Kumar Singh is an eminent Indian agricultural scientist. He is presently a National Professor under ICAR at National Research Centre for Plant Biotechnology, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi. He was born in a small village called Rajapur in the Mau District of Uttar...
of NRCPB. The first draft of the sequence was published in J. Plant Biochem. Biotechnol
As on 9 September 2009 ICAR has following number of institutions,:
- 4 Deemed Universities
- 45 ICAR Institutions
- 6 National Bureaux
- 25 Project Directorates
- 17 National Research Centres
- 138 Substations of ICAR Institutes
- 61 AICRPs (All India Coordinated Research Projects)
- 10 Other Projects
- 17 Network Projects
- 8 Zonal Project Directorates
- 589 Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs)
- Zone I – 62 KVKs
- Zone II – 77 KVKs
- Zone III – 70 KVKs
- Zone IV – 79 KVKs
- Zone V – 55 KVKs
- Zone VI – 57 KVKs
- Zone VII – 93 KVKs
- Zone VII – 76 KVKs
- The http://www.kvkkannur.com Krishi Vigyan Kendra Kannur
- Brief history : is a front line agricultural extension center financed by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research . It became functional since 30-03-2004 in the premises of Pepper Research Station, Panniyur under Kerala Agricultural University...
] located in the premises of world famous Pepper Research Station at Panniyur is a front line agricultual extension institution, which exerts powerful influence on other extension systems of the district. Ever since it became functional in the year 2004, it has made several innovative interventions in the agricultural development process of the district. The compact area group approach (CAGA) against coconut mite, Paddy Task Force to combat labour shortage in rice farming, first ever Farmers' Science Congress, pioneering a new branch of agricultural extension called Creative Extension are only few of the numerous contributions made by the kendra within a short span of time. The subsurface dyke
A subsurface dyke is a barrier impermeable to water that is placed underground to control the groundwater flow in an aquifer, and to raise the water table.-Introduction:...
constructed at KVK as part of demonstrating rain water harvesting technologies has become a living example for an effective method for ground water conservation. The success story of the subsurface dyke
A subsurface dyke is a barrier impermeable to water that is placed underground to control the groundwater flow in an aquifer, and to raise the water table.-Introduction:...
has demonstrated that it is one of the most feasible methods for the conservation and exploitation of the ground water resources of the state. The dyke is now the largest rainwater harvesting system in the region.
- 45 State Agricultural Universities (SAUs)
- 1 Central Agricultural University and
- 4 Central Universities having faculty of agriculture
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi http://www.iari.res.in
- Indian Agricultural Statistics Research Institute, New Delhi
- National Academy of Agricultural Research Management, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- Central Research Institute for Dryland Agriculture, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- Central Soil Salinity Research Institute, Karnal, Haryana
- National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal, Haryana
- Central Avian Research Institute, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh
- Central Institute for Cotton Research, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Central Institute for Research on Buffalo (CIRB), Hisar
The Central Institute for Research on Buffaloes is based at Hisar, Haryana, India.The Institute carries out research on various aspects of buffalo improvement including conservation of germplasm, development of optimum diets and feeding systems, enhancement of reproductive efficiency and health...
- Central Institute for Research on Cotton Technology, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Mumbai
- Central Institute for Research on Goats, Mathura, U.P.
- Indian Institute of Sugarcane Research, Lucknow, U.P.
- Central Institute for Subtropical Horticulture, Lucknow, U.P. http://www.cishlko.org
- Central Institute of Agricultural Engineering, Bhopal, M.P.
- Indian Institute of Soil Science, Bhopal, Madhaya Pradesh
- Central Institute of Arid Horticulture, Bikaner, Rajasthan
- Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture, Chennai
- Central Institute of Post Harvest Engineering & Technology, Ludhiana, Punjab
- Central Institute of Temperate Horticulture, Srinagar, J&K
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Cochin
- Central Institute of Fisheries Technology, Cochin
- Central Plantation Crops Research Institute, Kasaragod
- Central Arid Zone Research Institute, Jodhpur, Rajasthan
- Central Potato Research Institute, Shimla, H.P.
- Central Research Institute for Jute and Allied Fibres, Barrackpore, West Bengal http://www.crijaf.org.in/
- Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute, Barrackpore, West Bengal http://www.cifri.ernet.in
- Central Rice Research Institute, Cuttack, Orissa
- Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute, Avikanagar
- Central Soil and Water Conservation Research and Training Institute, Dehradun, Uttarakhand
- Central Tobacco Research Institute, Rajamundry
- Central Tuber Crops Research Institute, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- ICAR Research Complex for Eastern Region, Patna, Bihar
- ICAR Research Complex for Goa, Goa
- ICAR Research Complex for NEH Region, Ri Bhoi,
- Central Agricultural Research Institute, Port Blair
- Indian Grassland & Fodder Research Institute, Jhansi, U.P.
- Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bengaluru
- National Institute of Animal Nutrition and Physiology, Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Indian Institute of Natural Resins and Gums, Ranchi
- Indian Institute of Pulses Research, Kanpur, U.P.
- Indian Institute of Spices Research, Marikunnu, Kerala
- Indian Institute of Vegetable Research, Varanasi, U.P.
- National Institute of Research on Jute and Allied Fibre Technology, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Sugarcane Breeding Institute, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Vivekananda Parvatiya Krishi Anusandhan Sansthan, Almora, Uttarakhand
- Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture, Bhubaneshwar, Orissa
- Agriculturally Important Micro Organisms, Mau Nath Bhanjan, Uttar Pradesh
- Animal Genetic Resources, Karnal, Haryana
- Fish Genetic Resources, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Plant Genetic Resources, New Delhi
- Soil Survey & Land Use Planning, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Sorghum, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- Maize, New Delhi
- Seed, Mau Nath Bhanjan, Uttar Pradesh
- Wheat, Karnal, Haryana
- Biological Control, Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Animal Disease Monitoring and Surveillance, Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Cropping Systems, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh
- Cattle, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh
- Foot and Mouth Disease, Mukteshwar, Uttarakhand
- Poultry, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- Oilseeds, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh http://www.dor-icar.org.in/
- Rice, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
National Research Centre
- Agricultural Economics and Policy, New Delhi
- Integrated Pest Management, New Delhi
- Plant Biotechnology, New Delhi
- Agroforestry, Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh
- Banana, Thiruchirapalli, Tamil Nadu
- Cashew, Dakshina Kannada, Karnataka
- Soybean, Indore, Madhya Pradesh
- Citrus, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Equines, Hisar, Haryana
- Grapes, Pune, Maharashtra
- Onion and Garlic, Pune, Maharashtra
- Groundnut, Junagarh, Gujarat
- Litchi, Muzaffarpur, Bihar
- Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, Anand, Gujarat http://www.nrc-map.org
- Mushroom, Solan, Himachal Pradesh
- Oilpalm, West Godavari, Andhra Pradesh
- Orchids, Gangtok, Sikkim
- Meat, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- Weed Science, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
- Women in Agriculture, Bhubaneshwar, Orissa
- Water Technology Center for Eastern Region, Bhubaneshwar, Orissa
- Camel, Bikaner, Rajasthan
- Mithun, Dimapur, Nagaland
- Pig, Guwahati, Asom
- Pomegranate, Solapur, Maharashtra
- Rapeseed-Mustard, Bharatpur, Rajasthan
- Seed Spices, Ajmer, Rajasthan
- Cold Water Fisheries, Bhimtal, Uttarakhand
- Yak, West Kameng, Arunachal Pradesh
- Krishi Vigyan Kendra – Mahabaleshwar, Maharashtra
- All India Coordinated Project of Micro and Secondary Nutrients and Pollutant Elements in Soils & Plants
- Krishi Bhavan,
- Dr Rajendra Prasad Road,
- New Delhi – 110114
- 91-11-25842787, 23388842
- www.icar.org.in [www.icar.org.in]
All India Agriculture Entrance Examination
The ICAR conducts an entrance test for a reserved pool of 15% seats in all undergraduate courses in agriculture and allied fields in all agriculture universities of India.
The syllabus is parallel to various PMTs especially AIPMT
There is a rule aimed at increasing admissions from more number of states by allowing only 40% seats from a state.
ICAR Merits & Awards
- Choudhary Devi Lal Outstanding All-India Coordinated Research Project Award
- Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Award
Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Award was instituted by ICAR in 1956 to provide incentives to research workers in India and to recognize their outstanding research work...
- Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed Award for Tribal Areas
- Hari Om Ashram Trust Award
- Jawaharlal Nehru Award
Jawaharlal Nehru Award for International Understanding is an international award presented by the Government of India. It was founded in 1965 and is administered by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations to people "for their outstanding contribution to the promotion of international...
- Vasantrao Naik Award
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Young Scientist Award
- Bharat Ratna Dr C Subramaniam Outstanding Teacher Award
- Punjab Rao Deshmukh Woman Agricultural Scientist Award
- Chaudhary Charan Singh Award for Excellence in Journalism in Agricultural Research and Development
- N.G. Ranga Farmer Award for Diversified Agriculture
- Jagjivan Ram Kisan Puruskar
- Swamy Sahajanand Saraswati Extension Scientist/ Worker Award
Swamy Sahajanand Saraswati Extension Scientist/ Worker Award is awarded by Indian Council of Agricultural Research which was instituted in honour of Swami Sahajanand Saraswati....
- ICAR Award for Outstanding Multidisciplinary Team Research in Agriculture and Allied Sciences
- National Krishi Vigyan Kendra Award
- Dr Rajendra Prasad Puruskar for Technical Books in Hindi in The Field of Agriculture and Allied Sciences