The Incheon Free Economic Zone
(IFEZ), located in Incheon
The Incheon Metropolitan City is located in northwestern South Korea. The city was home to just 4,700 people when Jemulpo port was built in 1883. Today 2.76 million people live in the city, making it Korea’s third most populous city after Seoul and Busan Metropolitan City...
, South Korea
The Republic of Korea , , is a sovereign state in East Asia, located on the southern portion of the Korean Peninsula. It is neighbored by the People's Republic of China to the west, Japan to the east, North Korea to the north, and the East China Sea and Republic of China to the south...
consists of the three regions of Songdo, Cheongna, and the island of Yeongjong and has a total area of 51739 acres (209.4 km²). The goal of the IFEZ is to transform these three areas into hubs for logistics, international business, leisure, and tourism for the Northeast Asian region. Incheon's Free Economic Zone was officially designated by the Korean government in August of 2003. IFEZ is planned to be a self-contained living and business district featuring air and sea transportation, a logistics complex, an international business center, financial services, residences, schools and hospitals, and shopping and entertainment centres.
New Songdo City
Songdo International City began development in 1994 and is being built on reclaimed land. It is designated to become a center of diverse international businesses, a hub for international trade, an area for knowledge-based technologies, and a place for eco-friendly urban living.
In August 2009, Incheon will host the Global Fair & Festival 2009 Incheon, Korea in the New Songdo City for a period of 80 days.
HIGHLIGHT OF THE SONGDO IBD MASTER PLAN
- Development size: 13162 acres (53.3 km²)
- Planned population: 252,000 persons
- Construction duration: 1994~2015
- a 100000000 square feet (9,290,304 m²) new city on 150 acre (0.607029 km²)
- Commercial 40 million SF
- Residential 35 million SF
- Retail 10 million SF
- Hospitality 5 million SF
- public space 10 million SF
- The 68-story Northeast Asia Trade Tower, which will stand as Korea's tallest building and most advanced corporate center.
- The architecturally stunning Songdo Convensia, operating as Incheon's primary convention center, is Korea's largest column-free interior space. of open space including a 100 acre (0.404686 km²) Central Park, providing a beautiful place of refuge and relaxation for those who live and work in the city.
- The Incheon Arts Center, a cultural complex housing a concert hall, opera house, museum of Asian contemporary art, a music conservatory, design school, artist in residence housing, and a library.
- The Jack Nicklaus Golf Club Korea, co-developed with Kitson Partners, features an 18-hole championship golf course, a full clubhouse and a fitness center situated on a 228 acre (0.92268408 km²) site which will also include luxury villas and condominiums.
- Public and private schools including the International School Songdo (ISS) for students kindergarten through high school, offering a state-of-the-art learning environment and international perspectives to prepare them for leading post-secondary schools around the world.
- Songdo International City Hospital, planned to boast the latest in medical diagnosis and treatment technologies. Partners such as 3M and Microsoft will also participate in the development of this world class healthcare facility.
International Business District
This project consists of the Songdo Convencia convention centre, the North East Asia Trade Tower (NEATT), many office buildings, and a Jack Nicklaus Golf Course on 1364 acres (5.5 km²). The projected budget is approximately 22 billion dollars. The developer is NSIC, a joint venture company between GALE and POSCO
POSCO is a multinational steel-making company headquartered in Pohang, South Korea. It is the world's third-largest steelmaker by market value and the most profitable Asia-based steelmaker....
Songdo Convencia was under construction since March 2005 and was completed by early 2009. It is Songdo's first LEED certified project. NEATT has been under construction since February 2007, and the first phase will be finished by the end of 2009. It will contain 65 stories to a height of approximately 300 meters. A central park is also under construction that will be 10% the size of Songdo International City. It will contain a museum, a botanical garden, an artificial lake and will open in June 2009.
The 151 Incheon Tower is a supertall twin tower proposed for construction in Songdo International City, Incheon, South Korea. The design consists of two 151-floor, supertall skyscrapers connected by three skybridges. Construction started with groundbreaking on 20 June 2008...
will be located in Construction Area 11. It is proposed 151-floor, 610 meter tower. When completed, it will be the tallest building in east Asia and the second tallest in the world after the Burj Khalifa (828 m).
The Incheon Bridge is a newly-constructed bridge in South Korea. At its opening in October 2009, it became the second connection between Yeongjong Island and the mainland of Incheon. The Incheon Bridge is South Korea's longest spanning cable-stayed bridge...
is a large bridge that will connect Songdo International City and Yeongjong Island. Upon completion, the bridge will be 12.3 km (7.6 mi) long, and will be 5th longest bridge in Asia with the longest being the Hangzhou Bay Bridge
Hangzhou Bay Bridge is a long highway bridge with a cable-stayed portion across Hangzhou Bay in the eastern coastal region of China. It connects the municipalities of Jiaxing and Ningbo in Zhejiang province. At in length, Hangzhou Bay Bridge is one of the longest trans-oceanic bridges in the world...
at 35.6 km (22.1 mi) long.
Incheon International Hospital
Incheon will have a world-class hospital in its new Songdo City complex in 2014.
According to the MOU, the hospital with 500 beds will be the first profit-making medical institute in Korea, with a sizable foreign investment. It is estimated to cost 400 billion won.
The hospital will be built on an 80,000 square-meter site, and construction will be completed by 2013. The hospital will be fully operational in 2014.
Yeongjong International City
Yeongjong Island is an island off the west coast of the city of Incheon, South Korea. The previously separate Yongyu, Sammok, and Sinbul Islands have been joined to Yeongjong Island by an area of reclaimed land built for the construction of Incheon International Airport...
’s 34183 acres (138.3 km²) centering on the Incheon International Airport will be developed as an eco-friendly airport city by 2020. It will be a functional city with residential amenities for airport staff and visitors, as well as logistics, commercial and distribution facilities. Yeongjong will provide an optimal environment for logistic, tourism and leisure in conjunction with the Incheon International Airport.
- Development size: 34183 acres (138.3 km²)
- Planned population: 144,800 persons
- Duration: 2002~2016
The Cheongna district, on the mainland adjacent Yeongjong Island, will focus on entertainment and will feature a world class theme park. It will also be a residential area with sports facilities, a floriculture complex, and a business area specially designed for international finance.
- Development Size: 4394 acres (17.8 km²)
- Planned population: 90,000 persons
- Duration: 2004~2008