Ask a question about 'Gerald Abraham'
Start a new discussion about 'Gerald Abraham'
Answer questions from other users
Gerald Ernest Heal Abraham
CBE and C.B.E. are abbreviations for "Commander of the Order of the British Empire", a grade in the Order of the British Empire.Other uses include:* Chemical and Biochemical Engineering...
, FBA (9 March 1904 – 18 March 1988) was an English
The English are a nation and ethnic group native to England, who speak English. The English identity is of early mediaeval origin, when they were known in Old English as the Anglecynn. England is now a country of the United Kingdom, and the majority of English people in England are British Citizens...
musicologist; he was President of the Royal Musical Association
The Royal Musical Association is a British scholarly society and charity. Founded in 1874, the Association claims to be the second oldest musicological society in the world, after that of the Netherlands...
- Assistant Editor, Radio Times
Radio Times is a UK weekly television and radio programme listings magazine, owned by the BBC. It has been published since 1923 by BBC Magazines, which also provides an on-line listings service under the same title...
- Deputy Editor, The Listener, 1939–42
- Director of Gramophone Department, BBC
The British Broadcasting Corporation is a British public service broadcaster. Its headquarters is at Broadcasting House in the City of Westminster, London. It is the largest broadcaster in the world, with about 23,000 staff...
- James and Constance Alsop Professor of Music, Liverpool University, 1947–62
- BBC Assistant Controller of Music, 1962–67
- Music Critic, The Daily Telegraph, 1967–68
- Ernest Bloch Professor of Music, University of California at Berkeley, 1968–69
- Chairman, Music Section of the Critics' Circle, 1944–46
- Editor, Monthly Musical Record, 1945–60
- Editor, Music of the Masters (series of books)
- General Editor: The History of Music in Sound (gramophone records and handbooks)
- General Editor: New Oxford History of Music
- Chairman, Early English Church Music Committee, 1970–80
- Member, Editorial Committee, Musica Britannica
- President, International Society for Music Education, 1958–61
- Deputy Chairman. Haydn Institute (Cologne), 1961–68
- This Modern Stuff, 1933
- Nietzsche, 1933
- Studies in Russian Music, 1935
- Tolstoy, 1935
- Masters of Russian Music (with Michel Dimitri Calvocoressi
Michel Dimitri Calvocoressi was a music writer and music critic of Greek descent....
- Dostoevsky, 1936
- A Hundred Years of Music, 1938
- On Russian Music, 1939
- Chopin's Musical Style, 1939
- Beethoven's Second-Period Quartets, 1942
- Eight Soviet Composers, 1943
- Tchaikovsky, 1944
- Rimsky-Korsakov, 1945
- Design in Music, 1949
- Slavonic and Romantic Music, 1968
- The Tradition of Western Music, 1974
- The Master Musicians: Mussorgsky (with Michel Dimitri Calvocoressi), 1974
- The Concise Oxford History of Music, 1979
- Essays on Russian and East European Music, 1984
- New Oxford History of Music:
- Vol. III (Ars Nova and the Renaissance), 1960
- Vol. IV (The Age of Humanism), 1968
- Vol. VIII (The Age of Beethoven), 1982
- Vol. VI (Concert Music: 1630-1750), 1985