Ask a question about 'Gérard Prunier'
Start a new discussion about 'Gérard Prunier'
Answer questions from other users
Gérard Prunier is a French
The French Republic , The French Republic , The French Republic , (commonly known as France , is a unitary semi-presidential republic in Western Europe with several overseas territories and islands located on other continents and in the Indian, Pacific, and Atlantic oceans. Metropolitan France...
academic and historian specializing in the Horn of Africa
The Horn of Africa is a peninsula in East Africa that juts hundreds of kilometers into the Arabian Sea and lies along the southern side of the Gulf of Aden. It is the easternmost projection of the African continent...
and East Africa
East Africa or Eastern Africa is the easterly region of the African continent, variably defined by geography or geopolitics. In the UN scheme of geographic regions, 19 territories constitute Eastern Africa:...
Prunier received a PhD
PHD may refer to:*Ph.D., a doctorate of philosophy*Ph.D. , a 1980s British group*PHD finger, a protein sequence*PHD Mountain Software, an outdoor clothing and equipment company*PhD Docbook renderer, an XML renderer...
in African History in 1981 from the University of Paris
The University of Paris was a university located in Paris, France and one of the earliest to be established in Europe. It was founded in the mid 12th century, and officially recognized as a university probably between 1160 and 1250...
. In 1984, he joined the CNRS
The National Center of Scientific Research is the largest governmental research organization in France and the largest fundamental science agency in Europe....
scientific institution in Paris
Paris is the capital and largest city in France, situated on the river Seine, in northern France, at the heart of the Île-de-France region...
as a researcher. He later also became Director of the French Centre for Ethiopian Studies in Addis Ababa
Addis Ababa is the capital city of Ethiopia...
. Prunier has published over 120 articles and five books.
Prunier is fluent in his native French, as well as English and Spanish. He has good knowledge of Italian and German and a basic knowledge of Sudanese colloquial Arabic and Swahili.
Books Les Ethnies ont une histoire (ed. with Jean-Pierre Chrétien), Paris : Karthala, 1989, ISBN 286537226X L'Ouganda et la question indienne : 1896-1972, Paris : Editions Recherche sur les civilisations, 1990
- The Rwanda Crisis: History of a Genocide, Columbia University Press, 1995, ISBN 0231104081 Le Kenya contemporain, (ed. with François Grignon), Paris : Karthala & Nairobi : IFRA, 1998, ISBN 2865377938
- Darfur: The Ambiguous Genocide, Cornell University Press, 2005, ISBN 0801444500
- L'Éthiopie contemporaine (director), CFEE-Karthala, Addis Abeba and Paris, 2007, ISBN 978-2-84586-736-9
- From Genocide to Continental War: The "Congolese" Conflict and the Crisis of Contemporary Africa, C. Hurst & Co, 2009, ISBN 1850655235
- Published in the US as 'Africa’s World War: Congo, the Rwandan Genocide, and the Making of Continental Catastrophe, Oxford University Press
Oxford University Press is the largest university press in the world. It is a department of the University of Oxford and is governed by a group of 15 academics appointed by the Vice-Chancellor known as the Delegates of the Press. They are headed by the Secretary to the Delegates, who serves as...
, 2009, ISBN 9780195374209
- "Burundi: A Manageable Crisis?", WRITENET (UK), October 1994
- "Sudan’s regional war", Le Monde diplomatique
Le Monde diplomatique is a monthly newspaper offering analysis and opinion on politics, culture, and current affairs. It was first created mainly for a diplomatic audience as its name implies...
, February 1997 /
- "Rwanda: the Social, Political and Economic Situation", WRITENET (UK), June 1997
- "Somaliland, a forgotten country", Le Monde diplomatique, October 1997 /
- "Uganda, nearly a miracle", Le Monde diplomatique, February 1998 /
- "Somalia re-invents itself", Le Monde diplomatique, April 2000 /
- "Sudan: irreconcilable differences, Le Monde diplomatique, December 2002 /
- "Did Somebody Say Genocide?: Gérard Prunier on Darfur", Harper's Magazine
Harper's Magazine is a monthly magazine of literature, politics, culture, finance, and the arts, with a generally left-wing perspective. It is the second-oldest continuously published monthly magazine in the U.S. . The current editor is Ellen Rosenbush, who replaced Roger Hodge in January 2010...
, August 2006
- "Darfur's Sudan problem", opendemocracy.net, 15 September 2006
- Fergal Keane
Fergal Patrick Keane , is an Irish writer and broadcaster. For many years, Keane was the BBC's correspondent in Southern Africa. He is the nephew of Irish author John B. Keane....
, Interview of Prunier on the Rwandan Genocide, PBS
The Public Broadcasting Service is an American non-profit public broadcasting television network with 354 member TV stations in the United States which hold collective ownership. Its headquarters is in Arlington, Virginia....
FRONTLINE is a public affairs television program that produces and broadcasts in-depth documentaries about various subjects. Produced at WGBH-TV in Boston, Massachusetts and distributed through the Public Broadcasting Service in the United States, the program has been critically acclaimed and...
- Helena Cobban
Helena Cobban is a British-American writer and researcher on international relations, with special interests in the Middle East, the international system, and transitional justice. In March 2010, she founded a new book-publishing company, Just World Publishing, LLC...
, Gerard Prunier on 'la francophonie' under threat, blog posting, 31 May 2004
- CV submitted to International Criminal Court at The Hague (Ref. ICC -01/04-01/06-1566 - Anx 1 22-12-2008 2/3)