Ask a question about 'Frank W. Blackmar'
Start a new discussion about 'Frank W. Blackmar'
Answer questions from other users
Frank Wilson Blackmar
was an American
The United States of America is a federal constitutional republic comprising fifty states and a federal district...
sociologist, historian and educator. He served as the 9th President of the American Sociological Society (now known as the American Sociological Association).
Before earning a Ph.D. in 1889 at the Johns Hopkins University
The Johns Hopkins University, commonly referred to as Johns Hopkins, JHU, or simply Hopkins, is a private research university based in Baltimore, Maryland, United States...
in Baltimore, he was a professor of mathematics in the University of the Pacific (1881-1886). After he became a professor of history and sociology at the University of Kansas
The University of Kansas is a public research university and the largest university in the state of Kansas. KU campuses are located in Lawrence, Wichita, Overland Park, and Kansas City, Kansas with the main campus being located in Lawrence on Mount Oread, the highest point in Lawrence. The...
. Ten years later he was made professor of sociology and economics at the same university. He was elected dean when the graduate school of the University of Kansas was organized in 1896.
He wrote several books of local history, handbooks of economy and some political pamphlets.
- Spanish Colonization of the Southwest, 1890 ; 1891.
- The Story of Human Progress, 1896.
- History of Higher Education in Kansas, 1900 .
- Life of Charles Robinson, 1900.
- Elements of Sociology, 1907.
- Economics for Colleges, 1907.
- Economics for High Schools, 1907.
- Frank W. Blackmar (ed.), "Frank W. Blackmar", in Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc., with a supplementary volume devoted to selected personal history and reminiscence, Standard Pub. Co. Chicago : 1912.