Ask a question about 'Ferdinand Chalandon'
Start a new discussion about 'Ferdinand Chalandon'
Answer questions from other users
Ferdinand Chalandon in its full name the Swiss Confederation , is a federal republic consisting of 26 cantons, with Bern as the seat of the federal authorities. The country is situated in Western Europe,Or Central Europe depending on the definition....
) was a French
The French Republic , The French Republic , The French Republic , (commonly known as France , is a unitary semi-presidential republic in Western Europe with several overseas territories and islands located on other continents and in the Indian, Pacific, and Atlantic oceans. Metropolitan France...
medievalist and Byzantinist.
Chalandon’s work remains the most substantial study of the Normans
The Normans were the people who gave their name to Normandy, a region in northern France. They were descended from Norse Viking conquerors of the territory and the native population of Frankish and Gallo-Roman stock...
Italy , officially the Italian Republic languages]] under the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages. In each of these, Italy's official name is as follows:;;;;;;;;), is a unitary parliamentary republic in South-Central Europe. To the north it borders France, Switzerland, Austria and...
and though the details of what he wrote a hundred years ago have in places been modified, it remains the single most important work available to historians.
Being a former member of the École française de Rome, Ferdinand Chalandon was a winner of the Grand Prix Gobert in 1909.
- Essai sur le règne d'Alexis Ier Comnène (1081-1118). Paris : A. Picard, 1900
- La diplomatique des Normands de Sicile et de l'Italie méridionale. Mélanges d'archéologie et d'histoire de l'École française de Rome, 1900
- Numismatique des Normands en Sicile, 1903
- Histoire de la domination normande en Italie et en Sicile. Paris : A. Picard, 1907. Tome I & Tome II
- Jean II Comnène, 1118-1143, et Manuel I Comnène, 1143-1180. Paris. 1912
- Histoire de la Première Croisade jusqu'à l'élection de Godefroi de Bouillon
External links Obituary and biographical notes The Normans: Historiography of Normans in Italy Il cronista dei normanni
, Corriere della Sera
The Corriere della Sera is an Italian daily newspaper, published in Milan.It is among the oldest and most reputable Italian newspapers. Its main rivals are Rome's La Repubblica and Turin's La Stampa.- History :...
, May 1, 2009