Ask a question about 'Eric Owen Moss'
Start a new discussion about 'Eric Owen Moss'
Answer questions from other users
Eric Owen Moss
practices architecture with his eponymously named LA-based 25-person firm founded in 1973.
Throughout his career Moss has worked to revitalize a once defunct industrial tract in Culver City, California
Culver City is a city in western Los Angeles County, California. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 38,883, up from 38,816 at the 2000 census. It is mostly surrounded by the city of Los Angeles, but also shares a border with unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County. Culver...
Education and awards
Moss received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Los Angeles
The University of California, Los Angeles is a public research university located in the Westwood neighborhood of Los Angeles, California, USA. It was founded in 1919 as the "Southern Branch" of the University of California and is the second oldest of the ten campuses...
in 1965, his Masters of Architecture from the University of California, Berkeley
The University of California, Berkeley , is a teaching and research university established in 1868 and located in Berkeley, California, USA...
, College of Environmental Design in 1968 and a second Masters of Architecture from Harvard University
Harvard University is a private Ivy League university located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States, established in 1636 by the Massachusetts legislature. Harvard is the oldest institution of higher learning in the United States and the first corporation chartered in the country...
Graduate School of Design in 1972. Moss taught at Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc)
The Southern California Institute of Architecture in Los Angeles , California, is an independent, nonprofit school offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in architecture. It offers community design and outreach programs, and free public access to frequent exhibitions and lectures by leading...
in 1974 and was appointed director in 2002. He has held chairs at Yale and Harvard universities, and appointments at the University of Applied Arts in Vienna and the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts in Copenhagen.
Moss received a 1998 AIA/LA Medal for his architectural work as well as the Business Week/Architectural Record
Architectural Record is an American monthly magazine dedicated to architecture and interior design, published by McGraw-Hill Construction in New York City. It is over 110 years old...
Award in 2003 for the design and construction of the Stealth project, Culver City, California. He is a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects
The American Institute of Architects is a professional organization for architects in the United States. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., the AIA offers education, government advocacy, community redevelopment, and public outreach to support the architecture profession and improve its public image...
and received the Distinguished Alumni Award for the University of California at Berkeley in 2003. Moss received the 2007 Arnold Brunner Memorial Prize from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. There are ten published monographs on the work of Moss' office.
Projects and competitions
The firm, referred to also as EOM, is known for its sculptural work in addition to architectural work — including in 2009 a large, ribboned sculpture at SCI-Arc and at Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA)
The Los Angeles County Museum of Art is an art museum in Los Angeles, California. It is located on Wilshire Boulevard along Museum Row in the Miracle Mile vicinity of Los Angeles, adjacent to the George C. Page Museum and La Brea Tar Pits....
, the work entitled The Caterpillar.
- 2002, competition, St. Petersburg, Russia, for the New Mariinsky Theatre
- 2002, competition, St. Petersburg, Russia, for redevelopment of New Holland
- 2003, competition for the Queens Museum of Art
The Queens Museum of Art is an art museum and educational center located in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in the borough of Queens in New York City, United States.-Overview:...
in New York
- 2006, competition, City of the Future competition
- Gateway Art Tower, Culver City, described by Fredrick Smith as "a poor man's Eiffel Tower."
- Glass Tower, Culver City, planned, at La Cienega and Jefferson Boulevards, Los Angeles http://www.archdaily.com/20635/glass-tower-eric-owen-moss/
- competition, Shenzhen, China, technology university campus design
- Paola Giaconia, Eric Owen Moss. The Uncertainty of Doing, Skira, Milan 2006.
- Eric Owen Moss. Buildings and Projects 3, Rizzoli, New York 2002.
- Eric Owen Moss, Gnostic Architecture, Monacelli, New York 1999.
- Preston Scott Cohen, Brooke Hodge (eds.), Eric Owen Moss. The Box, Princeton Architectural Press, New York 1996.
- Eric Owen Moss. Buildings and Projects 2, Rizzoli, New York 1995.
- James Steele, Lawson-Westen House (Architecture in Detail), Phaidon Press, London 1995.
- Eric Owen Moss. Architectural monographs, n. 29, Academy Editions, London 1993.
- Eric Owen Moss. Buildings and Projects, Rizzoli, New York 1991.