Ask a question about 'Culinary Specialist (US Navy)'
Start a new discussion about 'Culinary Specialist (US Navy)'
Answer questions from other users
is a United States Navy
The United States Navy is the naval warfare service branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States. The U.S. Navy is the largest in the world; its battle fleet tonnage is greater than that of the next 13 largest navies combined. The U.S...
A Naval Rating is an enlisted member of a country's Navy, subordinate to Warrant Officers and Officers hence not conferred by commission or warrant...
. It was formerly the Mess Management Specialist (MS) rating until 15 January 2004, and as Steward (SD) prior to 1975.
Culinary Specialists operate and manage Navy mess
A mess is the place where military personnel socialise, eat, and live. In some societies this military usage has extended to other disciplined services eateries such as civilian fire fighting and police forces. The root of mess is the Old French mes, "portion of food" A mess (also called a...
es and living quarters established to subsist and accommodate Naval personnel in addition to many other duties including but not limited to:
- Estimate quantities and kinds of foodstuffs required.
- Assist Supply Officers in ordering and storage of subsistence items and procurement of equipment and mess gear.
- Check delivery for quantity and assist medical personnel in inspection for quality.
- Prepare menus and plan, prepare, and serve meals.
- Maintain food service spaces and associated equipment in a clean and sanitary condition, including storerooms and refrigerated
A refrigerator is a common household appliance that consists of a thermally insulated compartment and a heat pump that transfers heat from the inside of the fridge to its external environment so that the inside of the fridge is cooled to a temperature below the ambient temperature of the room...
- Maintain records of financial transactions and submit required reports.
- Maintain, oversee, and manage quarters afloat and ashore.
Navy Culinary Specialists run the White House Mess for the President of the United States.