Burnet Woods

Burnet Woods

Discussion
Ask a question about 'Burnet Woods'
Start a new discussion about 'Burnet Woods'
Answer questions from other users
Full Discussion Forum
 
Encyclopedia
Burnet Woods, owned and operated by the Cincinnati Park Board
Cincinnati Park Board
The Cincinnati Park Board maintains and operates all city parks in Cincinnati, Ohio. Established in 1911 with the purchase of , today the board services more than of city park space. The board receives its funding from the city, state and federal grants, as well as private endowments. In 1932 the...

, is an 89.3 acres (361,384.6 m²) city park in Cincinnati, Ohio
Cincinnati, Ohio
Cincinnati is a city in the U.S. state of Ohio. Cincinnati is the county seat of Hamilton County. Settled in 1788, the city is located to north of the Ohio River at the Ohio-Kentucky border, near Indiana. The population within city limits is 296,943 according to the 2010 census, making it Ohio's...

. The neighborhoods of Clifton and University Heights bound the park on three sides, while the University of Cincinnati
University of Cincinnati
The University of Cincinnati is a comprehensive public research university in Cincinnati, Ohio, and a part of the University System of Ohio....

 west campus forms the souther border. Burnet Woods is bounded by Martin Luther King Drive on the south, Bishop Street on the east, Jefferson and Ludlow Avenues on the north, and Clifton Avenue on the west. Two streets — Brookline Avenue and Burnet Woods Drive — also pass through the park. The original park area was purchased by the city in 1872, with additional purchases made in 1881 and since. In 1875 an artificial lake was added. The park contains a bandstand
Bandstand
A bandstand is a circular or semicircular structure set in a park, garden, pier, or indoor space, designed to accommodate musical bands performing concerts...

 constructed in 1911, The Lone Star Pavilion, Diggs Fountain Plaza, a playground
Playground
A playground or play area is a place with a specific design for children be able to play there. It may be indoors but is typically outdoors...

 area and the Trailside Nature Center (which houses Wolff Planetarium).

Richardson Monument


Located along the southern edge of the park, at the intersection of Martin Luther King Drive and Brookline Avenue, the Richardson Monument was erected in 1972 by University of Cincinnati students. The sculpture is composed of 84 tons of carved pink granite that was salvaged from H.H. Richardson's Cincinnati Chamber of Congress Building. The Chamber of Commerce was built in 1889 at the southwest corner of 4th street and Vine Street in downtown Cincinnati, but was destroyed by fire a mere twenty-two years later in 1911. The site of Richardson's building is now the location of PNC Tower
PNC Tower
The 4th & Vine Tower is a 495 foot tall building in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. It stands 31 stories tall, overlooking the Ohio River waterfront...

(built 1913).