The Armed Forces of South Russia
was formed on the 8th of January 1919, it incorporated many of the smaller formations of the White army in that area under them, including the Volunteer Army (which was renamed the Caucasian Volunteer Army).
Besides the Volunteer Army
The Volunteer Army was an anti-Bolshevik army in South Russia during the Russian Civil War of 1918-1920....
, the ASFR included the Army of the Don, the Crimean-Azov Army, the Forces of Northern Caucasus and the Army of Turkestan.
In January it numbered 51,000 Infantry, 34,000 Cavalry, 204 Field guns, 682 machine guns and 6 armoured trains. By July 1919 it had grown to 104,000 Infantry, 56,000 Cavalry, 600 Field guns, 1,500 machine guns, 19 aircraft, 34 armoured trains, 1 Cruiser, 5 Destroyers, 4 Submarines and 20 Gunboats.
By October, after heavy loses and the transfer of units to other armies, the armies strength fell drastically.
In April 1920 Denikin, commander-in-chief of the ASFR, delegated all authority to Pyotr Nikolayevich Wrangel
Baron Pyotr Nikolayevich Wrangel or Vrangel was an officer in the Imperial Russian army and later commanding general of the anti-Bolshevik White Army in Southern Russia in the later stages of the Russian Civil War.-Life:Wrangel was born in Mukuliai, Kovno Governorate in the Russian Empire...
, who took command of the so-called "Russian Army", which included all units remaining from the SFR after its defeat.
Order of Battle of the ASFR, Early 1919
Volunteer Army (renamed Caucasian Volunteer Army)
- 1st Army Corps (Gen. Kutepov
Alexander Pavlovich Kutepov was a leader of the anti-communist Volunteer Army during the Russian Civil War....
- 2nd Army Corps (Gen. Promtov)
- 5th Cavalry Corps (Gen. Yuzefovitch)
- 3rd Kuban Cavalry Corps (Gen. Shkuro
Andrei Grigoriyevich Shkuro was a Lieutenant General of the White Army.-Biography:...
- Kiev Army Group (Gen. Bredov)
Army of the Don
- Northern Group (Starshina Semiletov)
- Southern Group (Gen. S. Denisov)
- Trans-Don (Zadonskaya) Group (Col. Bykadorov)
Army of the Caucasus
- 1st Kuban Corps (Gen. Pokrovsky)
- 2nd Kuban Corps (Gen. Ulaguy, later Gen. Nahumenko)
- 4th Kuban Corps (Gen. Shatilov, later Gen. Toporkov)
Army of Turkestan
- Zakaspiyskaya Composite Inf. Division (Maj.Gen. Lazarev)
- Turkestankaya Rifle Division ( Maj.Gen. Litvinov)
- Cavalry Division (Maj.Gen. Oraz-Khan Sedar)
- Н.Е.Какурин, И.И.Вацетис "Гражданская война. 1918-1921" (N.E.Kakurin, I.I.Vacietis
Jukums Vācietis was a Latvian Soviet military commander. He was a rare example of notable Soviet leaders who were not members of the Communist Party ....
"Civil War. 1918-1921") - Sankt-Peterburg, "Polygon" Publishing House, 2002. ISBN 5-89173-150-9