Home      Discussion      Topics      Dictionary      Almanac
Signup       Login
Immanuel Kant

Immanuel Kant

 
Kant claims that we ought never treat others merely as a means to an end. Wha...
 
Posts  1 - 5  of  5
Immanuel Kant discussion
 
batesp1
04/23/09
Kant claims that we ought never treat others merely as a means to an end. What does Kant mean?
           
 
mordinho
04/23/09
replied to: batesp1
Replied To:  Kant claims that we ought never treat others merely as a means to a...
He means that we should show respect for others, and treat them as we would like to be treated ourselves.
           
 
Meyer2009
04/23/09
replied to: batesp1
Replied To:  Kant claims that we ought never treat others merely as a means to a...
As I understand it, Kant mean that in any action, all persons involved must be recipients of the good. You should not use a person as a means of achieving the good for another unless that first person in someway benefits.
This is sometimes used in critiquing utilitatian ethics.
If 51 % of the people could live a wonderful existence if the other 49% were enslaved, would that be ethical?
Kant would say that the 49% would also have to benefit from the right action, so the above question would not be morally justified.
           
 
batesp1
04/23/09
replied to: Meyer2009
Replied To:  As I understand it, Kant mean that in any action, all persons invol...
Thank you so much for your post. It really helped me have a better understanding. I am studying Business Ethics this semester and it has been hard for me to understand some of this.

Thanks again.
           
 
batesp1
04/23/09
replied to: mordinho
Replied To:  He means that we should show respect for others, and treat them as ...
Thank you for replying, but why can't the text book just say that? It would be a lot easier to understand. Thanks again, it makes more sense to me now.