(1) A body of students who graduate together
"The class of '97"
"She was in my year at Hoehandle High"
(2) The period of time that it takes for a planet (as, e.g., Earth or Mars) to make a complete revolution around the sun
"A Martian year takes 687 of our days"
(3) A period of time containing 365 (or 366) days
"She is 4 years old"
"In the year 1920"
(4) A period of time occupying a regular part of a calendar year that is used for some particular activity
"A school year"
- The time it takes the Earth to complete one revolution of the Sun (between 365.24 and 365.26 days depending on the point of reference).
- We moved to this town a year ago.
- I quit smoking exactly one year ago.
- The time it takes for any planetary body to make one revolution around another body.
- Mars goes around the sun once in a Martian year, or 1.88 Earth years.
- A period between set dates that mark a year, from January 1 to December 31 by the Gregorian calendar.
- A normal year has 365 full days, but there are 366 days in a leap year.
- I was born in the year 1950.
- This Chinese year is the year of the Rooster.
- A scheduled part of a calendar year spent in a specific activity.
- During this school year I have to get up at 6:30 to catch the bus.
- A Julian year, exactly 365.25 days, represented by "a".
- A level or grade in school or college.
- Every second-year student must select an area of specialization.
- The exams in year 12 at high school are the most difficult.