(1) Exerting shrewd or devious influence especially for one's own advantage
"His manipulation of his friends was scandalous"
(2) A pattern of behavior acquired through frequent repetition
"She had a habit twirling the ends of her hair"
"Long use had hardened him to it"
(3) The act of using
"He warned against the use of narcotic drugs"
"Skilled in the utilization of computers"
(4) What something is used for
"The function of an auger is to bore holes"
"Ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
(5) A particular service
"He put his knowledge to good use"
"Patrons have their uses"
(6) (law) the exercise of the legal right to enjoy the benefits of owning property
"We were given the use of his boat"
(7) (economics) the utilization of economic goods to satisfy needs or in manufacturing
"The consumption of energy has increased steadily"
(8) Use up, consume fully
"The legislature expended its time on school questions"
(9) Put into service; make work or employ (something) for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose
"Use your head!"
"We only use Spanish at home"
"I can't use this tool"
"Apply a magnetic field here"
"This thinking was applied to many projects"
"How do you utilize this tool?"
"I apply this rule to get good results"
"Use the plastic bags to store the food"
"He doesn't know how to use a computer"
(10) Take or consume (regularly or habitually)
"She uses drugs rarely"
(11) Habitually do something (use only in the past tense)
"She used to call her mother every week but now she calls only occasionally"
"I used to get sick when I ate in that dining hall"
"They used to vacation in the Bahamas"
(12) Avail oneself to
"Apply a principle"
"Practice a religion"
"Use care when going down the stairs"
"Use your common sense"
"Practice non-violent resistance"
From use from , from , from past partiiple stem of . Replaced native note, nutte "use" from notu, nytt.
- The act of using.
- The use of torture has been condemned by the United Nations.
- There is no use for your invention.
- Usefulness, benefit.
- What's the use of a law that nobody abides to?
- A function; a purpose for which something may be employed.
- This tool has many uses.
Synonymsemployment, usage benefit, good, point, usefulness, utility
From usen from from *usare "use", frequentative form of past participle stem of . Replaced native noten, nutten "to use" (from notian, nēotan, nyttian) and brouken, bruken "to use, enjoy" (from brūcan).