(1) A giant planet with a ring of ice particles; the 7th planet from the sun has a blue-green color and many satellites
"Uranus was discovered by William Herschel in 1781"
(2) (Greek mythology) god of the heavens; son and husband of Gaea and father of the Titans in ancient mythology
- The god of the sky and heavens, son and husband to Gaia, with whom he fathered the Titans and the Cyclops
- The seventh planet in our solar system, with twenty-seven known moons, discovered in 1781 by Sir William Herschel.
SynonymsHerschel; Georgium Sidus (until the mid-19th century) ♅ (in astronomy and astrology)
- giant planet
- Jovian planet
- outer planet
- superior planet
- Wiktionary appendix of planets