(1) The executive and legislative and judicial branches of the federal government of the United States
(2) North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; achieved independence in 1776
the United States
- The collection of individual states of the United States of America.
- Includes the land area, internal waters, territorial sea, and airspace of the United States, including the following:
- US territories, possessions, and commonwealths; and
- Other areas over which the US Government has complete jurisdiction and control or has exclusive authority or defense responsibility