(1) Electronic equipment that converts sound into electrical signals that can be transmitted over distances and then converts received signals back into sounds
"I talked to him on the telephone"
(2) Transmitting speech at a distance
(3) Get or try to get into communication (with someone) by telephone
"I tried to call you all night"
"Take two aspirin and call me in the morning"
From from +
- An electronic device used for two-way talking with other people (often shortened to phone).
- mobile telephone
- public telephone
- telephone book
- telephone box
- telephone call
- telephone conference
- To contact someone by dialing his or her telephone number; to make someone's telephone ring using one's own telephone.