(1) Of a proposition whose truth value is determined by observation or facts
"`all men are arrogant' is a synthetic proposition"
(2) Systematic combining of root and modifying elements into single words
(3) Involving or of the nature of synthesis (combining separate elements to form a coherent whole) as opposed to analysis
"Limnology is essentially a synthetic science composed of elements...that extend well beyond the limits of biology"- P.S.Welch
(4) Not genuine or natural
"Counterfeit rhetoric that flourishes when passions are synthetic"- George Will
(5) Artificial as if portrayed in a film
"A novel with flat celluloid characters"
(6) Not of natural origin; prepared or made artificially
(7) A compound made artificially by chemical reactions