(1) Support oneself
"He could barely exist on such a low wage"
"Can you live on $2000 a month in New York City?"
"Many people in the world have to subsist on $1 a day"
(2) Continue to live; endure or last
"We went without water and food for 3 days"
"These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America"
"The race car driver lived through several very serious accidents"
"How long can a person last without food and water?"
(3) Live longer than
"She outlived her husband by many years"
(4) Continue in existence after (an adversity, etc.)
"He survived the cancer against all odds"
From < < + , akin to ; see vivid. Cf. devive, revive.
- Of a person, to continue to live; to remain alive.
- Of an object or concept, to continue to exist.
- To live longer than.
- He was survived by his spouse and three children.
- To live past a life-threatening event.
- He did not survive the accident.