(1) One of a number of large stone statues with the body of a lion and the head of a man that were built by the ancient Egyptians
(2) (Greek mythology) a riddling winged monster with a woman's head and breast on a lion's body; daughter of Typhon
(3) An inscrutable person who keeps his thoughts and intentions secret
- (definite: The Sphinx) An ancient, large statue in Egypt, with the face of a man and the body of a lion, lying near the Great Pyramids.
- The demon of destruction and bad luck in Greek mythology.