(1) Marked by friendly companionship with others
"A social cup of coffee"
(2) Living together or enjoying life in communities or organized groups
"A human being is a social animal"
"Mature social behavior"
(3) Tending to move or live together in groups or colonies of the same kind
"Ants are social insects"
(4) Composed of sociable people or formed for the purpose of sociability
"A purely social club"
"The church has a large social hall"
"A social director"
(5) Relating to human society and its members
(6) Relating to or belonging to or characteristic of high society
"Made fun of her being so social and high-toned"
"A social gossip colum"
"The society page"
(7) A party of people assembled to promote sociability and communal activity
From social < < <
- A festive gathering to foster introductions.
- A dance held to raise money for a couple to be married.
- Short for social security benefit, the UK government department responsible for administering such welfare benefit for its employees.
- Fred hated going down to the social to sign on.
- Short for social security number.
- What's your social?