(1) A sharp-pointed awl for marking wood or metal to be cut
(2) Someone employed to make written copies of documents and manuscripts
(3) Informal terms for journalists
(4) French playwright (1791-1861)
(5) Score a line on with a pointed instrument, as in metalworking
< , pp. , probably akin to , , to , to ; see screw
- One who writes; a draughtsman; a writer for another; especially, an official or public writer; an amanuensis or secretary; a notary; a copyist.
- A writer and doctor of the law; one skilled in the law and traditions; one who read and explained the law to the people.
- A very sharp, steel drawing implement used in engraving and etching, a scriber.
- A writer, especially a journalist.
- To write.
- To record.
- To write or draw with a scribe.