(1) Something left after other parts have been taken away
"There was no remainder"
"He threw away the rest"
"He took what he wanted and I got the balance"
(2) Matter that remains after something has been removed
- Whatever remains after something else has been removed.
- The substance that remains after evaporation, distillation, filtration or any similar process.
- Whatever property or effects are left in an estate after payment of all debts, other charges and deduction of what is specifically bequeathed by the testator.
- A form of complex number.