(1) A statement (either spoken or written) that is made in reply to a question or request or criticism or accusation
"I waited several days for his answer"
"He wrote replies to several of his critics"
(2) The speech act of continuing a conversational exchange
"He growled his reply"
(3) Reply or respond to
"She didn't want to answer"
"Answer the question"
"We answered that we would accept the invitation"
- To give a written or spoken response, especially to a question, request, accusation or criticism; to answer.
- Please reply to my letter.
- "Sorry I'm late," replied the student.
- He replied that he was not sure.
- To act or gesture in response.
- Johnabella replied to Partario's insult with a slap to his face.
- To repeat something back; to echo.