(1) The act of being present
(2) Dignified manner or conduct
(3) The impression that something is present
"He felt the presence of an evil force"
(4) The immediate proximity of someone or something
"She blushed in his presence"
"He sensed the presence of danger"
"He was well behaved in front of company"
(5) An invisible spiritual being felt to be nearby
(6) The state of being present; current existence
"He tested for the presence of radon"
- The fact or condition of being present, or of being within sight or call, or at hand;
- Any painter can benefit from the presence of a live model from which to draw.
- The part of space within one's immediate vicinity.
- Bob never said anything about it in my presence.
- A quality of poise and effectiveness that enables a performer to achieve a close relationship with his audience.
- Despite being less than five foot, she filled up the theatre with her stage presence.
- Something (as a spirit) felt or believed to be present.
- I'm convinced that there was a presence in that building that I can't explain, which led to my heroic actions.
- A company's business activity in a particular market.
- The state of being closely focused on the here and now, not distracted by irrelevant thoughts