(1) Having a surface without slope, tilt in which no part is higher or lower than another
"A flat desk"
"Acres of level farmland"
"A plane surface"
"Skirts sewn with fine flat seams"
(2) An aircraft that has a fixed wing and is powered by propellers or jets
"The flight was delayed due to trouble with the airplane"
(3) A carpenter's hand tool with an adjustable blade for smoothing or shaping wood
"The cabinetmaker used a plane for the finish work"
(4) A power tool for smoothing or shaping wood
(5) (mathematics) an unbounded two-dimensional shape
"We will refer to the plane of the graph as the X-Y plane"
"Any line joining two points on a plane lies wholly on that plane"
(6) A level of existence or development
"He lived on a worldly plane"
(7) Cut or remove with or as if with a plane
"The machine shaved off fine layers from the piece of wood"
(8) Make even or smooth, with or as with a carpenter's plane
"Plane the top of the door"
(9) Travel on the surface of water