The position on a baseball team of the player who throws the ball for a batter to try to hit
"He has played every position except pitcher"
"They have a southpaw on the mound"
(2) An open vessel with a handle and a spout for pouring
(baseball) the person who does the pitching
"Our pitcher has a sore arm"
(4) The quantity contained in a pitcher
to pitch + -er
- One who pitches anything, as hay, quoits, a ball, etc.
- , the player who delivers the ball to the batter.
- (Obsolete) A sort of crowbar for digging.
, pehhar, pehhāri; probably of the same origin as beaker
- A wide-mouthed, deep vessel for holding liquids, with a spout or protruding lip and a handle; a water jug or jar with a large ear or handle.
- A tubular or cuplike appendage or expansion of the leaves of certain plants. See pitcher plant.