(1) Enduring without protest or complaint
Enduring trying circumstances with even temper or characterized by such endurance
"A patient smile"
"Was patient with the children"
"An exact and patient scientist"
"Please be patient"
(3) The semantic role of an entity that is not the agent but is directly involved in or affected by the happening denoted by the verb in the clause
A person who requires medical care
"The number of emergency patients has grown rapidly"
From , present participle of ; akin to Greek ; see pathos
- content to wait if necessary; not losing one's temper while waiting; not bothered with having to wait; not unwilling to wait
- A person or animal who receives treatment from a doctor or other medically educated person.
- A noun or noun phrase that receives the action of a verb. The subject of a passive verb or the direct object of an active verb. Also called a goal, target, or undergoer.
- (person or animal who receives treatment from a doctor or other medically educated person)