Having official authority or sanction
"An official representative"
"The election returns are now official"
(3) (of a church) given official status as a national or state institution
Conforming to set usage, procedure, or discipline
"In prescribed order"
Of or relating to an office
Someone who administers the rules of a game or sport
"The golfer asked for an official who could give him a ruling"
(7) A worker who holds or is invested with an office
From , from
- Of or pertaining to an office or public trust
- official duties
- Derived from the proper office or officer, or from the proper authority; made or communicated by virtue of authority
- an official statement or report
- Approved by authority; authorized.
- sanctioned by the pharmacopoeia; appointed to be used in medicine; officinal
- an official drug or preparation
- Discharging an office or function.
- Relating to an office; especially, to a subordinate executive officer or attendant.
- Relating to an ecclesiastical judge appointed by a bishop, chapter, archdeacon, etc., with charge of the spiritual jurisdiction.
- An office holder invested with powers and authorities.
- A person responsible for applying the rules of a game or sport in a competition.