A deciduous tree of the genus Quercus; has acorns and lobed leaves
"Great oaks grow from little acorns"
(2) The hard durable wood of any oak; used especially for furniture and flooring
From , from Germanic *aiks
. Cognate with West Frisian iik or eek, Dutch eik
, German Eiche, Danish eg
, Swedish ek
, Norwegian eik
- A tree of the genus Quercus, bearing acorns and having lobed leaves.
- The wood of the oak.
- (colour) a rich brown colour, like that of oak wood.
- Made from the wood of the oak tree
- (colour) of a rich brown colour, like that of oak wood.