(1) Situated in or facing or moving toward or coming from the north
"Artists like north light"
"The north portico"
(2) In a northern direction
"They earn more up north"
"Let's go north!"
(3) Any region lying in or toward the north
(4) The United States (especially the northern states during the American Civil War)
"He has visited every state in the Union"
"Lee hoped to detach Maryland from the Union"
"The North's superior resources turned the scale"
(5) The region of the United States lying north of the Mason-Dixon line
(6) British statesman under George III whose policies led to rebellion in the American colonies (1732-1792)
(7) The cardinal compass point that is at 0 or 360 degrees
(8) The direction in which a compass needle points