(1) A complete change of physical form or substance especially as by magic or witchcraft
A striking change in appearance or character or circumstances
"The metamorphosis of the old house into something new and exciting"
(3) The marked and rapid transformation of a larva into an adult that occurs in some animals
First attested in 1533, from from +
- A transformation, such as that of magic or by sorcery
- A noticeable change in character, appearance, function or condition.
- A change in the form and often habits of an animal after the embryonic stage during normal development. (e.g. the transformation of a caterpillar into a butterfly or a tadpole into a frog.)
- A change in the structure of a specific body tissue. Usually degenerative.