(1) Lighter consisting of a thin piece of wood or cardboard tipped with combustible chemical; ignites with friction
"He always carries matches to light his pipe"
"As long you've a lucifer to light your fag"
(2) An exact duplicate
"When a match is found an entry is made in the notebook"
(3) A burning piece of wood or cardboard
"If you drop a match in there the whole place will explode"
(4) Something that resembles or harmonizes with
"That tie makes a good match with your jacket"
(5) A formal contest in which two or more persons or teams compete
(6) A pair of people who live together
"A married couple from Chicago"
(7) A person who is of equal standing with another in a group
(8) A person regarded as a good matrimonial prospect
(9) The score needed to win a match
(10) Make equal, uniform, corresponding, or matching
"Let's equalize the duties among all employees in this office"
"The company matched the discount policy of its competitors"
(11) Be equal or harmonize
"The two pieces match"
(12) Make correspond or harmonize
"Match my sweater"
(13) Set into opposition or rivalry
"Let them match their best athletes against ours"
"Pit a chess player against the Russian champion"
"He plays his two children off against each other"
(14) Bring two objects, ideas, or people together
"This fact is coupled to the other one"
"Matchmaker, can you match my daughter with a nice young man?"
"The student was paired with a partner for collaboration on the project"
(15) Provide funds complementary to
"The company matched the employees' contributions"
(16) Satisfy or fulfill
"Meet a need"
"This job doesn't match my dreams"
(17) Be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics
"The two stories don't agree in many details"
"The handwriting checks with the signature on the check"
"The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun"
(18) Be equal to in quality or ability
"Nothing can rival cotton for durability"
"Your performance doesn't even touch that of your colleagues"
"Her persistence and ambition only matches that of her parents"