(1) Consisting of great mass; containing a great quantity of matter
"Earth is the most massive of the terrestrial planets"
(2) Imposing in size or bulk or solidity
"Massive oak doors"
"Moore's massive sculptures"
"The monolithic proportions of Stalinist architecture"
"A monumental scale"
(3) Imposing in scale or scope or degree or power
"Massive retaliatory power"
"A massive increase in oil prices"
(4) Being the same substance throughout
- Of or pertaining to a large mass; weighty, heavy, or bulky.
- A massive comet or asteroid appears to have ended the era of the dinosaurs.
- Much larger than normal.
- Compared to its counterparts from World War II, the Abrams main battle tank is truly massive.
- Of great significance or import; overwhelming.
- The enlightenment comprises massive shifts in many areas of Western thought.
- Of particularly exceptional quality or value; awesome.
- Did you see Colbert last night? He was massive!