(1) The form of a literary work submitted for publication
(2) Handwritten book or document
Recorded since 1597, from medieval manuscriptum ‘writing by hand’, from manu
(the ablative of manus
‘hand’) + scriptus (the past participle of scribere ‘to write’)
- Which is handwritten, or by extension typewritten, as opposed to mechanical reproduction
- A book, composition or any other document, (type)written by hand, not mechanically reproduced.
- A single, original copy of a book, article, composition etc, written by hand or even printed, submitted as original for (copy-editing and) reproductive publication.
- A manuscript, written (not printed) text or composition
- A manuscript submitted for reproductive publication