(1) A motor vehicle with four wheels; usually propelled by an internal combustion engine
"He needs a car to get to work"
(2) Any mechanical or electrical device that transmits or modifies energy to perform or assist in the performance of human tasks
(3) A device for overcoming resistance at one point by applying force at some other point
(4) A group that controls the activities of a political party
"He was endorsed by the Democratic machine"
(5) An intricate organization that accomplishes its goals efficiently
"The war machine"
(6) An efficient person
"The boxer was a magnificent fighting machine"
(7) Make by machinery
"The Americans were machining while others still hand-made cars"
(8) Turn, shape, mold, or otherwise finish by machinery
From < < , Doric spelling of < .
- A mechanical or electrical device that performs or assists in the performance of human tasks, or is used for amusement (like a pinball machine).
- The group that controls a political or similar organization.
- A vehicle operated mechanically; an automobile.
- A person or organisation that seemingly acts like a machine, being particularly efficient, single-minded, or unemotional.
- Bruce Campbell was a "demon-killing machine" because he made quick work of killing demons.
- The government has become a money-making machine.
- answering machine or, by extension, voice mail.
- I called you earlier, but all I got was the machine.
- to make by machinery.
- to shape or finish by machinery.