(1) Being the gear producing the lowest drive speed
"Use first gear on steep hills"
(2) Low in spirits
"Lonely and blue in a strange city"
"Depressed by the loss of his job"
"A dispirited and resigned expression on her face"
"Downcast after his defeat"
"Feeling discouraged and downhearted"
(3) Of the most contemptible kind
"A low stunt to pull"
"A low-down sneak"
"His miserable treatment of his family"
"You miserable skunk!"
"A scummy rabble"
"A scurvy trick"
(4) Literal meanings; being at or having a relatively small elevation or upward extension
"The sun is low"
"A low bow"
(5) Less than normal in degree or intensity or amount
"The reservoir is low"
(6) Used of sounds and voices; low in pitch or frequency
(7) Very low in volume
"A low murmur"
"The low-toned murmur of the surf"
(8) Subdued or brought low in condition or status
"A broken man"
"His broken spirit"
(9) Unrefined in character
(10) No longer sufficient
"Supplies are low"
"Our funds are depleted"
(11) Low or inferior in station or quality
"A humble cottage"
"A lowly parish priest"
"A modest man of the people"
(12) In a low position; near the ground
"The branches hung low"
(13) The lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle; used to start a car moving
(14) A low level or position or degree
"The stock market fell to a new low"
(15) British political cartoonist (born in New Zealand) who created the character Colonel Blimp (1891-1963)
(16) An air mass of lower pressure; often brings precipitation
"A low moved in over night bringing sleet and snow"
(17) Make a low noise, characteristic of bovines
From , and from Early Mediaeval English lāh
- In a position comparatively close to the ground.
- Small in height.
- Depressed, sad.
- In an amount nearest to zero, such as low prices.
- Despicable thing to do.
- Now that was low even for you!
- Something that is low.
- You have achieved a new low in behavior, Frank.
- Economic growth has hit a new low.
- A depressed mood or situation.
- He is in a low right now
- An area of low pressure; a depression.
- The lowest-speed gearing of a power-transmission system, especially of an automotive vehicle.
- Shift out of low before the car gets to eight miles per hour.
From Icelandic / or from . Cognates include Danish lue and German .