(1) A damaging piece of work
"Dry rot did the job of destroying the barn"
"The barber did a real job on my hair"
(2) The performance of a piece of work
"She did an outstanding job as Ophelia"
"He gave it up as a bad job"
(3) The principal activity in your life that you do to earn money
"He's not in my line of business"
(4) The responsibility to do something
"It is their job to print the truth"
(5) A specific piece of work required to be done as a duty or for a specific fee
"Estimates of the city's loss on that job ranged as high as a million dollars"
"The job of repairing the engine took several hours"
"The endless task of classifying the samples"
"The farmer's morning chores"
(6) A crime (especially a robbery)
"The gang pulled off a bank job in St. Louis"
(7) A workplace; as in the expression "on the job";
(8) An object worked on; a result produced by working
"He held the job in his left hand and worked on it with his right"
(9) A book in the Old Testament containing Job's pleas to God about his afflictions and God's reply
(10) (computer science) a program application that may consist of several steps but is a single logical unit
(11) Any long-suffering person who withstands affliction without despairing
(12) A Jewish hero in the Old Testament who maintained his faith in God in spite of afflictions that tested him
(13) A state of difficulty that needs to be resolved
"She and her husband are having problems"
"It is always a job to contact him"
"Urban problems such as traffic congestion and smog"
(14) Invest at a risk
"I bought this house not because I want to live in it but to sell it later at a good price, so I am speculating"
(15) Work occasionally
"As a student I jobbed during the semester breaks"
(16) Arranged for contracted work to be done by others
(17) Profit privately from public office and official business