(1) Throw as from an airplane
(2) Throw away, of something encumbering
From getteson, from getaison (French: would be jetaison like pendaison).
- Collectively, items that have been or are about to be ejected from a boat or balloon.
- The action of jettisoning items.
- To eject from a boat, submarine, aircraft, spaceship or hot-air balloon, so as to lighten the load.
- The ballooners had to jettison all of their sand bags to make it over the final hill.
- The jettisoning of fuel tanks.
- To let go or get rid of as being useless or defective; discard.
Synonyms: chuck, discard, ditch, dump, junk, lose, scrap, toss
- See also Wikisaurus:junk