(1) An approximate calculation of quantity or degree or worth
"An estimate of what it would cost"
"A rough idea how long it would take"
(2) The content of cognition; the main thing you are thinking about
"It was not a good idea"
"The thought never entered my mind"
(3) A personal view
"He has an idea that we don't like him"
(4) Your intention; what you intend to do
"He had in mind to see his old teacher"
"The idea of the game is to capture all the pieces"
(5) (music) melodic subject of a musical composition
"The theme is announced in the first measures"
"The accompanist picked up the idea and elaborated it"
< < < .
- The transcript, image, or picture of a visible object that is formed by the mind; also, a similar image of any object whatever, whether sensible or spiritual.
- That which exists in the mind as the result of mental activity; a thought or a concept
- Ideas won't go to jail.—A. Whitney Griswold (1952)
- Someone's opinion, belief or conviction that is accepted as true
- An intuitive notion; a feeling or hunch
- A plan or scheme for doing something, or an intention
- A musical theme or melodic subject