A disreputable vagrant
"A homeless tramp"
"He tried to help the really down-and-out bums"
possibly a contraction of 'ho
' or English dialect hawbuck "lout, clumsy fellow, country bumpkin."
- A homeless, usually penniless person, in some way associated with a life along the rails.
- A migratory laborer
- A tramp, vagabond; hence bum
- Often used attributively, as if an adjective. For example, "hobo stew", "he was leading a hobo life."
- To be a hobo, tramp, bum etc.
- Joe idly hoboed trough half the country till he realized hoboing never gets you anywhere in life