(1) A material effigy that is worshipped
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image"
"Money was his god"
(2) Any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force
(3) The supernatural being conceived as the perfect and omnipotent and omniscient originator and ruler of the universe; the object of worship in monotheistic religions
(4) A man of such superior qualities that he seems like a deity to other people
"He was a god among men"
From Middle English, from the , from , from the , from the (meaning that which is invoked), from (meaning to call, to invoke) or *ǵheu- (to pour). Not related to the word good.
- The single god of various monotheistic religions.
- The single male god of various duotheistic religions.
- An impersonal and universal spiritual presence or force.
- An omnipotent being, creator of the universe (as in deism).