(1) A republic in central Europe; split into East German and West Germany after World War II and reunited in 1990
- Country in Central Europe. Official name: Federal Republic of Germany (Bundesrepublik Deutschland).
- (countable; hist. 1949-1990) Either of the German states, FRG and GDR. The two Germanies exchanged permanent representatives in 1974.
- (countable; hist. pre-1871) Any of the German states. Melton’s useful new book traces the explosion of public institutions in eighteenth-century England, France and the Germanies.
- Reich, Riik, Rick, Rich, Rijk, Rike, Rik, Rig, Riche, Ritch
- Teuton, Teutonic
- Weimar Republic
- West Germany