(1) Prepare oneself for a military confrontation
"The U.S. is girding for a conflict in the Middle East"
"Troops are building up on the Iraqi border"
(2) Bind with something round or circular
(3) Put a girdle on or around
"Gird your loins"
(4) Encircle or bind
"Trees girded the green fields"
- To bind with a flexible rope or cord.
- The fasces were girt about with twine in bundles large.
- To encircle with, or as if with a belt.
- The lady girt herself with silver chain, from which she hung a golden shear.
- Our home is girt by sea... - Advance Australia Fair