(1) Furnishings that make a room or other area ready for occupancy
"They had too much furniture for the small apartment"
"There was only one piece of furniture in the room"
From < .
- The harness, trappings etc. of a horse or other animal.
- An item, or, used collectively, items, usually in a room, which enhance the room's characteristics, functionally and/or decoratively.
- Before the end of the nineteenth century, the plural existed in Standard English in both the U.S. and the U.K.; during the twentieth century, however, it ceased to be used by native speakers.
- A single item of furniture, such as a chair or a table, is often called a .