(1) The act of constituting a political unity out of a number of separate states or colonies or provinces so that each member retains the management of its internal affairs
(2) A union of political organizations
(3) An organization formed by merging several groups or parties
- An array of nations or states that are unified under one central authority which is elected by its members.
- The act of joining several states into the federation. (Australia)
- It is 106 years since federation.
- Of an architectural style popular around the time of federation.
- We live in a federation house.