(1) Something that happens at a given place and time
(2) A phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon
"The magnetic effect was greater when the rod was lengthwise"
"His decision had depressing consequences for business"
"He acted very wise after the event"
(3) A phenomenon located at a single point in space-time; the fundamental observational entity in relativity theory
(4) A special set of circumstances
"In that event, the first possibility is excluded"
"It may rain in which case the picnic will be canceled"
< < < + ; see venture, and cf. advent, convent, invent, etc., convene, evene, etc.
- An occurrence of social or personal importance.
- A point in spacetime having three spatial coordinates and one temporal coordinate
- A possible action that the user can perform and is monitored by an application or the operating system (event listener). When an event occurs an event handler is called which performs a specific task.