(1) The profession of teaching (especially at a school or college or university)
(2) The activities of educating or instructing; activities that impart knowledge or skill
"He received no formal education"
"Our instruction was carefully programmed"
"Good classroom teaching is seldom rewarded"
(3) The result of good upbringing (especially knowledge of correct social behavior)
"A woman of breeding and refinement"
(4) The gradual process of acquiring knowledge
"Education is a preparation for life"
"A girl's education was less important than a boy's"
(5) Knowledge acquired by learning and instruction
"It was clear that he had a very broad education"
(6) The United States federal department that administers all federal programs dealing with education (including federal aid to educational institutions and students); created 1979
From < < ; see educate.